When you are drinking traditional green tea, components from the leaves get infused into the hot water then the leaves are removed.
However, with matcha green tea, you are drinking the actual leaves because they have been prepared into a powder and made into a solution.
This type of tea offers plenty of health benefits and can improve your health in general. So, let’s find out more about the health benefits of this incredible tea.
Matcha means “powdered tea”. In the traditional green tea, components from the leaves get infused into the hot water, then the leaves are discarded. But with matcha, you are drinking the actual leaves, which have been finely powdered and made into a solution.
Health Benefits of Matcha Tea:
1. Boosts Your EnergyMatcha is a good source of caffeine, but not the one found in regular coffee. This type of caffeine is called theophylline and is known for its ability to sustain the energy levels without causing any side effects.
Theophylline supports the function of the adrenal glands and maintains optimum hormonal levels, which in turn improves your energy levels.
2. Detoxifies Your BodyCompared to other green teas, Matcha is richer in chlorophyll because it is grown in the shade. Chlorophyll is the pigment that gives leaves their green color.
It has been shown that chlorophyll can detoxify the body and eliminate heavy metals, toxins, dioxins, poisons and hormone disrupters.
3. Fights CancerMatcha contains compounds that can improve your health. Some of them have been associated with cancer prevention. According to a study, green tea extract can slow the growth of breast cancer cells and reduce tumor size.
Matcha has a rich content of epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), a type of catechin that has potent anti-cancer properties and can fight prostate, lung, skin, and liver cancer.
4. Helps in Weight LossThe American Journal of Clinical Nutrition published a study which claims that green tea extract contains thermogenic properties and promotes fat oxidation.
It has been shown that the regular consumption of green tea can increase thermogenesis (your body’s rate of burning calories) from 8-10% to 35-43% of daily energy expenditure.
According to another study, if you exercise immediately after drinking matcha green tea, you can experience 25% more fat burning during exercise.
5. Improves CholesterolAccording to many studies, people who regularly consume Match Green Tea have lower levels of LDL (bad cholesterols) and higher levels of HDL (good cholesterol).
Men who consume Match Green Tea on a regular basis have 11% reduced risk to experience heart disease compared to those who don’t consume Match.
6. Improves Heart HealthThis type of tea is extremely beneficial for cardiovascular health. This is due to its content of epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), known for its ability to keep cholesterol levels low.
It is scientifically shown that EGCG can reduce the accumulation of lipids and promote autophagy in the vascular endothelial cells.
7. Rich in AntioxidantsMatcha tea is an excellent source of antioxidants. In fact, it contains about 137 times the polyphenols, epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), as compared to the content of a regular green tea.
Matcha tea contains more than 7 times the antioxidants compared to high-quality dark chocolate and 60 times the antioxidants of spinach.